[OT] home routers

I bought a Linksys WRT54GL back in 2005 and immediately loaded DD-WRT...
it's still running today and never (and I mean never) requires any
attention... my uptime has been reset three times since I put it into use,
all three times were because I was moving apartments :)

Then again, I bought a D-Link 624+ back in 2002 or 2003 which is still
operating at my father's condo...

Consider running a quick site survey (DD-WRT can perform them, or software
like Wififofum) to see if any other channels are being used in your area...
switch as far away from the most active and strongest channels already in
use.  If there isn't much activity or changing channels doesn't help, you
might try buying a better antenna for the existing router?