Preferred linux distro for workstation usage?

At the last installfest, one of the guys installed Mint. The only
problem we had was in getting the Brodcom wireless up and running. The
only distro that I am aware of that supports the broadcom wireless
firmware directly is Ubuntu (and family). With Ubuntu, the
b43-fwcutter package allows you do obtain the firmware automatically.
So, we deinstalled the Mint b43-fwcutter and installed the Ubuntu
package to get the wireless up quickly. But, I've had the broadcom
wireless installed successfully on SuSE and Fedora with minimal issues.

On 09/14/2010 08:33 AM, Sean Terrell wrote:
> If thats the question, Then why use Ubuntu over Debian, or Fedora or
> PCLOS over Red Hat? If you are asking what specifically using a Mint
> version changes over the Main Base version, there are many things.
>
> Linux Mint has a tremendous out of the box experience, similar to Ubunt=
> but much more aesthetically appealing, and comes with Flash, Java, and
> media codecs that allow a new user to be working and have DVD playback
> right out of the box.=20
>
> Keeping to a Ubuntu or Debian Base allows for the use of the Ubuntu and=

> Deb repositories, as well as mints own repositories. MintInstall is
> similar to Ubuntu's software manager, but allow allows users to assign
> ratings and comments about an application, helping new users to make
> decisions about the insane amount of software available.=20
>
> The newest version of the MintMenu, the mintified version of the gnome
> menu, includes automatic search of APT and the web. so if you are
> looking for something, and its not installed, Apt will start kicking ou=
> packages right in the main menu, and you can install via apt directly
> from the menu.=20
>
> The single biggest difference between Mint and any other distro is the
> community. I will not talk bad about any other community, but I will
> tell you that from my experience, Mint is top notch. Super friendly and=

> welcoming. tremendous support from knowledgeable persons. If you havent=

> already, check out the community. this might change your mind about
> using 1 distro over another.=20
>  =20

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix