Trying to learn something but not sure what to Google...

Tom Metro wrote:
> I'm sure there are lighter weight solutions than apache and mod_proxy.
> Someone mentioned nginx...

A tutorial on installing nginx on an NSLU2 for the purpose of reverse
proxying:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/ReverseProxy

which should largely be applicable to OpenWRT and other router platforms
that use optware packages.

> ...but even that is more general purpose than what you need.

The article also mentions Pound[1], which is strictly for reverse
proxying, and has been ported to OpenWRT.

See also this 2006-era thread that mentions Pound being ported:
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?pid=34809#p34809

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pound_%28networking%29

> I'd expect a few hundred lines of C code could accomplish the task,
> especially if it was hooked into the router's NAT table...

Further up in the above thread is discussion of using the string module
for iptables to do deep packet inspection. The implementation details
aren't given.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro