Google Talk on Fedora 13 with USB earphones/mic

I want to be able to use Google for a conference call. I successfully
installed the 64bit plugin on Fedora 13. I'm using a SoundBlaster Arena
USB earphones with a microphone. I can use the earphones and mic with
sound recorder, but on Google Talk (actually Google Chat) I cannot get
the mic to work. If you go to Google/settings/Chat, under Voice and
Video chat, bit the microphone and speakers are detected, but when I
test (eg Verify your settings), I can see there is no voice. The
speakers verify correctly. Under the microphone settings, it does detect
the earphones. And, as I mentioned, the microphone does work fine using
sound recorder. I did test this on a Windows box. Additionally, I was
not able to get this to work in a Windows XP virtual machine. It does
appear that I might be missing some audio RPM.

In a related thing, when I tested Dimdim a while back I was not able to
get the mic to work.

A couple of tests I want to try also:
1. test using Ubuntu on the netbook using
    1a. integrated speakers and mic
    1b. USB earphones/mic

2. Retest virtual machine again. I think I was able to use the Windows
media recorder, but I don't recall.

3. Test using a cheap microphone - I think my wife has one on her
desktop computer.

Most of my Google searches on this turn up suggestions for Windows users.=

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846