Trying to learn something but not sure what to Google...

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:04 AM, Jack Coats <jack-rp9/bkPP+cDYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Edward Ned Harvey <blu-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
>>> Behalf Of Jarod Wilson

>>> (and
>>>
>>> Yes, actually, you can (been there, done that). However, it requires a
>>> web server running on the gateway system, proxying them.
>>
>> I think that's what I said. ?You can't NAT to two separate and different
>> internal IP's & ports, but you can NAT to a single one, which then knows how
>> to forward/redirect/proxy whatever page was requested. ?But the fact
>> remains, this is still being handled by a single internal IP address and
>> port, which is then choosing some other server(s) to use in reality.
>>
>> The handoff could either be a proxy (the machine that was the NAT
>> destination is relaying traffic) or it could be a direct handoff, such as a
>> redirect to a different IP address or port, or URL.
>
> my little routers allow taking incoming ports and forwarding them to
> any internal IP/port
> combination I like. ?But yes, it is a one to one mapping if I remember right.

I've recently taken up pfSense for my router. Lets you do all sorts of
crazy things, like utilize p0f to create OS-specific rules... Don't
recall anything exposed in the config ui for proxying web hosts, but
its certainly doable, since its just freebsd underneath. I'd wager its
also doable with openwrt, though I dunno if apache and mod_proxy might
overwhelm memory on such a light-weight box.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org