Trying to learn something but not sure what to Google...

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM, Edward Ned Harvey <blu-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
>> Behalf Of Myrle Francis
>>
>> what I don't understand is how to get two web servers working behind my
>> router(dd-wrt) if they are both using port 80.
>
> You can't forward a single inbound IPaddress/port to two separate (and
> different) internal websites.

Yes, actually, you can (been there, done that). However, it requires a
web server running on the gateway system, proxying them.

> Because the router has no way to know which
> server the client is requesting, when the router just knows "traffic inbound
> on IP address ___ on port 80."
>
> You can do, however:
>
> If your internal web servers are able to be hosted on a single machine, look
> up "name based virtual host." ?An http server takes the initial request
> packet, and figures out which web page was requested, so an apache server,
> etc, can serve up more than web page.
>
> You could have something like the above, which forwards to something else
> ... such as ... a different port or IP address, to get some site on an
> actual different server ...

Apache and the ProxyPass directive works for name-based vhosts. Not
sure if whatever web server is in dd-wrt has this capability though.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org