Gray Hair? Read and Weep!

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 04:31:11PM -0400, Ethan Schwartz wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 2:20 PM, Mark Woodward <markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/28/silicon-valley%E2%80%99s-dark-secret-it%E2%80%99s-all-about-age/
>
> >From the article:
> "As well, the older worker likely has a family and needs to leave by 6 pm,
> whereas the young can pull all-nighters"
>
> I think this is a generalization that is probably not as true as some would
> like to think.  Perhaps the 22-23 year old fresh out of college might be
> willing to stay late, but once you enter the mid/late-20s a whole slew of
> issues pops up to prevent working long hours.
>
> I'm sure we all have anecdotes to support either side, but I've worked at
> companies with plenty of young (late 20s) engineers who either due to their
> young family or social life are not willing or able to stay very late...
>
> I've also seen a fair number of older guys who are perfectly willing to stay
> late because their kids are out of the house (at college or otherwise) and
> they jump at the chance for a free dinner and the chance to cheat on a diet
> :)

If your company is pulling all-nighters, there must be an
emergency. If there's a permanent emergency, the company is
badly managed.

Yes, I know I just wrote off the entire video game industry as
badly managed. I think they are.

If you need three shifts, then you need three shifts.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.