Mono, gcj, java, c++, what?

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
> Behalf Of Mark Woodward
>
> With Oracle making
> legal actions against google for dalvik, there is speculation that java
> may not be free for very much longer, or at least the "free" version
> may
> become stagnant.

Where do people get this information from?  What a load.

Oracle is suing google, because there is an opportunity for oracle to make a
quick buck this way.  How does that lead to oracle stopping java being
available for free, etc?  It doesn't.  It's a load.

Also, there's openjdk, the gpl version of java, which is not copyrighted or
developed by oracle.  So ...

> a community build around it or would it disband like the open solaris
> group did?

OMG.

Opensolaris was formerly called solaris express.  In fact, it's still
officially called solaris express.

Opensolaris is being renamed officially and colloquially "solaris express"
and it is remaining open source.  The only thing that is changing:  there
will be no biweekly build releases.  They'll release builds according to
whatever schedule they want, and the source won't be released until the
build is released.  They want to keep the internal thought process a little
more stealthy, they felt they were exposing too much internal knowledge to
their competition by making the repository publicly accessible.