Mono, gcj, java, c++, what?

On Sat, Aug 28, 2010 at 06:53:21AM -0400, Mark Woodward wrote:
> OK, how about a little thought experiment, say you want to write a
> server based back-end system these days.

Write the part that deals with the web frontend in Ruby on Rails or
whatever interpreted, fast-development language you are comfortable
with. You must be able to run this on many machines with a load balancer.
Write the part that does interesting (hard, fast) stuff in C or C++.
If you need a different language for that, you already have a really good
reason, don't you? That part needs to be able to do its thing in parallel
on many independent machines, load balanced or otherwise.  Deal with
whatever database you need in between. Stay away from stored procedures
and anything that can't be done easily on another database (i.e. avoid
proprietary features). Reading is easier to cache than writing.

Does that help?

I'm not a programmer, I'm a sysadmin. Stuff needs to be deployed; these
are tools which are known to work.

-dsr-