FIOS - Mythtv Questions

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 12:21 PM, James Kramer <kramerjm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does MythTV work with FIOS.

Yes. I've has FiOS TV coupled with MythTV for years now.

> I just want to use it to record video.
> My box has a firewire connector. ?Do I need a Hauppage card?

Depends on what you're trying to record. And for the record "a
Hauppauge card" is rather vague. They make all sorts of different
cards.

However, he's what I have with my own FiOS TV:

1) digital capture devices, which record clear qam channels straight
off a coax feed (two of these are in fact Hauppauge cards)

2) analog capture devices, which record analog video from the output
of digital to analog adapter boxes (one of these is a Hauppauge card)

3) firewire off my cable box, which I can record *some* HDTV channels
(but not all) that I can't already record in clear qam

4) Hauppauge HD-PVR, which can record the rest fo the channels off my
cable box that clear qam and firewire don't get me, via component
video (not a "card", but also a Hauppauge capture device)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org