RAID1 or LVM quesiton

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 3:53 PM, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> We have a power failure here last week and one of my systems failed to
> come up with serious fsck issue on the boot drive:
> I've got 3 SATA drives, 1 160GB boot and OS only
> 2 2TB drives configured as either and LVM or possibly as a RAID1. ?In
> any case I resinstalled RHEL 5.3 and now I need to recover the volume
> group and logical volumes. I tried vgchange, vgscan and pvscan with no
> results. ?I may have used either LVM with mirroring or RAID1. I just
> want to make sure I don't damage any data on the drives. The partitions
> on both /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc are Linux LVM (8e).
> I just don't want to do anything destructive at this point.

You might try "mdadm -q /dev/sdXXX" on the partitions to see if they
really are Linux RAID1 partitions.
Also try "cat /proc/mdstat".

I'm not sure about RHEL, but it is possible that if you didn't
configure LVM/MD during the OS install that your initial ramdisk
doesn't automatically load the kernel modules for the Linux MD
drivers.  You might try loading the raid1 module manually and then
re-checking /proc/mdstat.

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad