VI annoyance

Hi Matt,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 08:42:21AM -0400, Matt Shields wrote:
> Just to add further notes.  I looked at the differences between my
> RHEL/CentOS/Fedora systems and my Ubuntu systems and tried some of the
> settings that were in /etc/vimrc and /etc/vim/vimrc (respectively).  I tried
> a few of the differences out on one Ubuntu system and "set nocompatible"
> seems to make vi act like I'm used to.

You answered your own question.  Vim, with 'set compatible', will act like
vi, which doesn't understand the arrow keys as movement characters.  To
turn it off, just use 'set nocompatible'.

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/options.html#%27compatible%27

-ben

--
faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving that there
is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.