VI annoyance

On 08/11/2010 08:52 AM, Matt Shields wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM, Edward Ned Harvey <blu-Z8efaSeK1ezqlBn2x/YWAg at public.gmane.org>w=
rote:

>  =20
>>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
>>> Behalf Of Matt Shields
>>>
>>> But, now I have a bunch of Ubuntu boxes I need to manage and I have
>>> this
>>> weird issue where I can go into insert mode but if I do anything othe=
>>> than
>>> type characters (like arrow keys, or delete) it stays in insert mode
>>>      =20
>> You may be right about .vimrc goodies, but I don't guess so.  I think =
the
>> first thing you should look at is whether you're actually using vi, or=
 vim.
>> For example in solaris, vi is the default, so I install vim, and then =
alias
>> vi=3Dvim.  Because vim is better.
>>
>> Also, if you don't have your terminal properly set up, it can cause re=
ally
>> weird behavior.  Is this behavior the same on the local physical conso=
le?
>> Or does this behavior only happen over the network via ssh?
>>
>> In addition to all of the above, gvim is yet another step above and be=
yond
>> vim.  Assuming you have graphics.
>>

>>    =20
> See previous note about vi is actually a symlink to vim on all servers.=
> can reproduce the problem from Windows (SecureCRT), Linux (Gnome Term),=
 OSX
> (Terminal and ZOC) and from server's local terminal.
>
> Term is set for "Linux" in all terminal instances.
>
> By any other .vimrc goodies, I was wondering if anyone had any good
> options/functions, etc that they use and would like to share.
Actually vi is not always symlinked to vim. On my Ubuntu 10.04 netbook
it is symlinked to /etc/alternatives/vi, and vim is actually not
installed. I'm beginning to think that I might have installed remix
rather than the full Ubuntu. After installing vim on the netbook, then
/etc/alternatives/vi was a symlink to /etc/alternatives/vim.nox

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846