Hardware quesiton connecting 2 computers via USB

On 08/11/2010 01:48 AM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 7:22 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org=
> wrote:
>  =20
>> I seem to recall discussing this within the past year or two but I don=
't recall where.  Anyway, why USB?  Why not Ethernet?  Or why not a priva=
te Ethernet network?
>>    =20
> Actually it was in January.  Here is a link to the thread:
>
> http://lists.blu.org/pipermail/discuss/2010-January/035024.html
>
> At the time, I suggested buying USB<->Ethernet dongles if the poster
> really needed the physical connection to the machine to be USB.  This
> was assuming that the two systems were full Linux systems on which
> USB<->Ethernet driver software could be installed.   No idea if
> Jerry's systems can do this or not.
>  =20
Basically, standard USB cables certainly cannot be used, but there are
usb bridge cables that give you a host <--> host connection. Some of
these are available only for Windows, but there are a few that do not
need Windows drivers. The reason for doing this is that I was under the
impression that USB 2.0 was faster than ethernet, but USB 2.0 is 480Mbps
where ehternet through our switch is 1Gbps, so ethernet wins. End of
discussion from my standpoint.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846