Android and Linux

On 08/07/2010 10:43 PM, David Kramer wrote:
> Richard Pieri wrote:
>  =20
>> IMAP access.  Contact sync is still through iTunes -- and that's the
>> point: you must use iTunes.  You can't full sync or backup without
>> iTunes, and that in turn locks you into managing contacts, music,
>> videos photos, etc., with Apple's tools.
>>    =20
> That's not inherently a bad thing, it just doesn't work for you.
> Android doesn't sync with any program on any operating system, and
> requires you to send every detail of who you know and where you'll be t=
> a humongous company.  That doesn't work for me.
>
> You are wrong on some points, though.  I manage my contacts and calenda=
>  through Outlook when I don't do it right on my phone.
>  =20
One of the issue I have with many PDAs/Smartphones is that they are not
Linux friendly. You make a very good point about "Android doesn't sync
with any program on any operating system, and requires you to send every
detail of who you know and where you'll be to a humongous company". In
my case, while I do like the iPhone, the 2 things I need to have
available at home are my contacts and my notes. When I had my Palm PDA,
I used the memo pad for many things, and would sync with jpilot. While I
could backup my Blackberry on Linux, it would only sync with Windows. At
least with the Android I do have the data available. As far as the Palm
memo pad -> Blackberry notes and Windows notes, I was able to push those
up to Evernote. But the risk is that my contacts and calendar are on the
Google cloud, but I can live with this because I can now get to all my
data from Linux.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846