Android and Linux

On Aug 4, 2010, at 12:44 PM, Gordon Marx wrote:

> Right! For example, the iPhone doesn't support Exchange. Or Gmail. Or
> Yahoo. Or AOL.*
>
> Gordon
> *note: the iPhone supports all of these, so I'm not sure what you're
> talking about.

iPhone OS 2 didn't support Exchange.  That came with version 3, reluctantly on Apple's part, and even with v4 it is still a bit dodgy some times.  Google Calendar sync likewise arrived with v3.  Google Mail has been supported entirely because Google has supported POP and IMAP access.  Contact sync is still through iTunes -- and that's the point: you must use iTunes.  You can't full sync or backup without iTunes, and that in turn locks you into managing contacts, music, videos photos, etc., with Apple's tools.

On the subject of battery life, turning off the WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS transceivers when they aren't needed makes a huge improvement in operational time.

--Rich P.