Android and Linux

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM, Chris O'Connell <omegahalo-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I'm curious... I don't use an Android phone, but I'm curious if there are
> any packages available for popular linux distributions that allow you to
> integrate your Android phone with Linux Apps.  Is there a utility to backup
> your phone through Linux?  How about synchronizing with popular contact or
> calendar applications?
>
> Just wondering...
>
> Chris

Android plays well with Linux, which is not too surprising since it is based
on Linux. When you connect the phone via USB to a Linux box, it'll appear as
a mass storage device, so you can just copy files back and forth--music,
pictures, whatever. Some (all?) Android phones also support DLNA media
sharing, but I haven't played with that.

As far as syncing goes, it works well with Gmail and Google Calendar,
naturally, and MS Exchange Server. Of course, this has nothing to do with
Linux per se. What kind of integration are you looking for?