ubuntu upgrade

ole dan wrote:
>edwardp-mh2Nk+tgbQM at public.gmane.org wrote:

>> This was the exact same problem I had on the laptop.  The login screen
>> was fine, but the desktop was the same as described above.

>> The actual problem:  Desktop screen resolution setting was set to
>> something not supported by the video chip, in this case, an ATi Radeon
>> model.

>> The login screen resolution, was set to the default as installed by
>> Ubuntu, which worked fine.

> aha!  so where is the file which contains the screen
> resolution settings?  the only way i have used to set
> resolution recently is via a gui and that doesn't work in
> this situation.

HOWEVER -- i just heard from a good source (not on this
list) that ubuntu 10.04 does not include the file
/etc/X11/xorg.conf but queries the hardware instead, though
it will use the file if there is one there.

accordingly, i copied xorg.conf.failsafe (there was no
xorg.conf) from another CF50 running ubuntu 9.10 to the sick
machine, and retried.  it still didn't work.  i renamed the
file xorg.conf and voila -- up and running, though a window
came up saying it was low resolution -- it doesn't look it.

running gnome-display-priorities shows the resolution at
1600x1200, refresh 0 hz.  the detect monitors button detects
nothing.  go figure.

by the way, there is no explicit screen resolution given in
the xorg.conf file, just "default screen".

i'm just happy to be back in business.

tia,
ole dan

j. daniel moylan