semi-automatic backup to USB drive

OK, I?m a little more optimistic about getting a solution to this problem:

I have two terabyte USB drives, so that I can back up files from my
desktop without having to stuff gigabytes of data up a 128 Mbps pipe.
In my dream world, a backup happens like this:

(1) I plug the USB drive into the desktop.

(2) The desktop, recognizing the UUID of the drive it just mounted, runs
a backup script (perhaps throwing up a confirmation dialog box to
whoever is logged in).

(3) When the script completes, one of those little flashing GNOME
notification-thingies appears on my screen: ?Backup completed; you may
unmount the drive? or ?Backup failed: see /var/log/mumble for details?.

(4) I unmount the drive, unplug it, and put it in a safe place.

I?m sure the hooks for ?run this script when mounting such-and-such a
device? and ?throw up a notification thingy? exist somewhere, but I
don?t know where.