web cams

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> How about a combination of USB Webcam + a SheevaPlug? ?That should keep
>> you under $300 and give you all the reliability you want/need.
>
> Yes, I originally considered that before purchasing my first IP camera.
> The guys that gave a talk to BLU on the SheevaPlug mentioned using one
> in this fashion.
>
> There are a few downsides. A USB Webcam isn't really suitable for most
> surveillance applications. Not a good form-factor. Not as rugged. Not
> easy to mount. And not as good for low-light. And you're pretty much out
> of luck if you want pan/tilt. (I think there are some USB P/T cameras,
> but I believe they're as expensive as the P/T IP cameras.)
>
> And the SheevaPlugs at that time didn't have built-in WiFi. (I'm pretty
> sure the current models do.)

I'm not sure that Wi-Fi is a good idea for security cameras.   Seems
like a broadband
white-noise generators at 2.4 and 5Ghz are going to easily be able to
kill your system completely.   I realize that most criminals are not
going to have a clue about this, but eventually it will become
"standard issue" equipment.   Available everywhere, just like illegal
drugs and cheap guns.

Bill Bogstad