End of Moore's law?

This brings up a somewhat new point.  Looking at data comm
infrastructure, what has been the relationship between Moore's Law and
speed and capacity of switching fabric?  When I was involved in that
segment, about 10 years ago, fat pipe switches/routers were built with
state of the art technology custom ASICS.  When manufacturing processes
shrunk, the ASICS were often die shrunk, with varying results.  Have
they been able to re-work ASICS for higher speeds, or is bleeding edge
networking still reinventing the wheel every time wire speeds increase?

	Jerry Natowitz
	j.natowitz (at) rcn.com