The long reach of Oracle

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:09 PM, mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org <mark-OGhnF3Lt4opAfugRpC6u6w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Mostly Oracle and open source doesn't worry me. The specific case of Oracle
> and MySQL does worry me, because it is a case of them acquiring an open
> source project that has been gradually expanding into direct competition
> with their flagship commercial product. I believed, and still believe, that
> the world would have been better served by requiring Oracle to divest MySQL.

The original founders of MySQL (and some others) have already forked MySQL,
so if you're worried that MySQL will go away like OpenSSO then you
shouldn't.  BTW, OpenSSO (also a Sun/Oracle product) was killed, but it
forked to OpenAM.  I believe that most of the real opensource products that
were Sun/MySQL have enough interest and the license permits them to fork.
GlassFish is another example where I could see it forking.  If you look at
the latest version (3) they have removed core features from the OS version
like clustering.  I wouldn't doubt that some will come along and fork it.

-matt