Possible iMAP server

To be blunt, I really don't care how long you've been doing Mutt development.  I have users with mbox files in the 2-8GB range -- and growing -- on my IMAP server.  They sometimes experience connection timeouts when trying to manipulate those files, usually when the disk load is high.  Imagine that.  I can and do blame the file format for that because time required to scan through a single mbox file increases with the size of the file.  When size times disk I/O load passes a threshold the connection between client and server times out.  This would not be an issue with Maildir because while the total time to scan an entire mailbox is greater, the time between client and server acknowledging each other is orders of magnitude less.

--Rich P.