best practices using LVM and e2fsck

On 07/01/2010 09:47 AM, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
>> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
>> Behalf Of Tom Metro
>>
>> I don't recall the ext version being mentioned in this thread. Your
>> concern seems to imply v2. Would switching to v3 or v4 be an option,
>> which should eliminate the possibility of a long fsck run?
>>
> In ext2, you must fsck every time there's an ungraceful dismount.
> In ext3/4, you can avoid fsck's after ungraceful dismounts, but still, once
> in every ... something like 180 days or 90 reboots or something like that
> ... It will still fsck during startup.

You realize that both checks can be disabled, right?

I've been doing this so long, it's almost habit:

mke2fs -j /dev/my_vg/my_lv
tune2fs -c 0 -i 0 -m 1 /dev/my_vg/my_lv

After this, the per-mount and day-elapsed checks are disabled, and the
amount of disk set aside for root has been reduced from 5% to 1%. (Let's
see that start a new argumen..I mean thread)

I'm of the opinion that if a filesystem has enough of a hardware problem
that it gets corrupted, you should just wipe it and restore from backup
- after, of course, correcting the hardware issue.  You do have backups,
right??

-Mark