best practices using LVM and e2fsck

Hello All,
    I support servers the use LVM. When I created the mounts - . I took the defaults and "e2fsck" will kick off  if the system is rebooted if  the mounts  are up beyond 180 days.

    What the best practices here..I see checking the mounts as a good thing.

    I am afraid if I "need" to reboot- which I don't for see and e2fsck kicks off it will take a long time to bring up the server.

    Is it a good idea to plan service outages to run -e2fsck on the mounts beforehand. What do others do ?

Thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Goldman
Systems Administrator  Department of Biology          sgoldman-3s7WtUTddSA at public.gmane.org
Massachusetts Institute of Technology                      617-452-2595
31 Ames Street 68-316E
Cambridge, MA 01239