best laptop for a small child

Adam Russell wrote:
> I am looking for something along the lines of the OLPC XO-1
> or the Elonex One for a very young relative.
> Oddly, I thought it would be easier to buy one of the above mentioned
> machines but they seem to be largely unavailable.
> Any suggestions?

There is a strong argument to be made for giving her something close in
interface to what they'll use when she's older, so they don't have to
re-learn how to use a computer.  Frankly I didn't find the XO's hardware
or software intuitive at all.  Linux is close enough for these purposes,
though.

For pretty much the same money, you can buy a netbook today.  For a bit
more, you can buy one with a solid state drive so it's a little more
rugged.  For a whole lot less ($50 or so) you can buy a 30 pound old
beater laptop at the MIT Flea.  I knew one family that took the extra
precaution of putting a piece of lucite over the screen of their
daughter's computer.  I built my daughter her first computer when she
was about 2.5.

If you have the option, I would recommend a desktop instead of a laptop.
 Not only will it be a hell of a lot cheaper, but you can upgrade parts,
and the actual computer can be safely out of harm's way.

My daughter was much better at a trackball instead of a mouse.  They're
also easier to clean jelly out of ;)