rack mount KVM over IP

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> A couple of years ago, I asked online for some recommendations for KVMs
> for our rack. At the recommendation of our IT people, we acquired a Rose
> Electronics Ultraview Remote 16 port single user KVM over IP. During
> that period of time we had a lot of issues with it, such as having to
> reboot it almost daily. A few times it would not even reboot, and I sent
> it back to Rose. This last time, I could not revive it, and now they
> want to charge me $650, and we are telling them to stick it.
>
> What I would like to get is a KVM over IP 16-port using CAT5 cables, 1
> or 2 users. All the systems in the rack are USB, and our rack-mounted
> keyboard/monitor has PS/2 cables. Essentially our use is reasonably low,
> but it is a real pain have to bring a monitor, keyboard and mouse into
> the computer room. All our systems in the rack are Linux.
> While I would prefer to be able to access the KVM from Linux, all we
> really need is local access as well as remote access from Windows XP.
> I'm looking for stability because the computer room is tiny and shared
> by a number of other companies.
>
> JABR's company uses an Aten KVM. The CS1716i
> <
> http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?pcid=2005010513171002&psid=20060411131311002&pid=20100104165819001&layerid=subClass1
> >
> seems to meet my specs. I do note that this uses custom cables with DB9
> connectors. This is ok, since we are talking about connecting a single
> rack. I'm not exactly sure what model JABR's company has.
>
> I do want to give my boss a choice because he is limited to buying from
> 1 distributor via PO. I'm primarily interested in personal experience.
> There are many companies that offer similar products, like Raritan and
> Avocent. Belking makes them too, but I don't like Belkin's products.
>

> --
> Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
> Boston Linux and Unix
> PGP key id: 537C5846
> PGP Key fingerprint: 3D1B 8377 A3C0 A5F2 ECBB  CA3B 4607 4319 537C 5846

I use the Raritan KVM-over-IP and have been extremely happy with them.  I
use the KX-232 and KX-464 (2 user, 32 port & 4 user, 64 port) ones with the
Command Center to link them all together.  I have quite a few of them
thoughout multiple datacenters and the Command Center provides one UI to get
to any server in the network.

I believe Raritan also makes PDU rebooters that can also work with the
Command Center, although we choose to go with the APC ones.

-matt