GRUB2 menu under Ubuntu

Due to a video issue on a laptop, I had to reinstall Xubuntu (Ubuntu
with XFCE desktop), because as root (sudo), it would not let me delete
the directory which had the personalizations (directory not empty).
Deleting that directory likely would have fixed the problem.

Because this is the only OS installed on the laptop, the GRUB2 menu does
not appear when the laptop is powered on, I believe the default number
of seconds was set to zero.  On other systems where it is dual-boot with
Windows, the menu appears for 10 seconds before booting into Xubuntu by
default.

Does GRUB2 have a file that can be edited to force the menu to appear
for the same 10 seconds on the laptop?  Since the menu did not appear,
the laptop could not be booted into recovery mode, which might have also
fixed the video issue (reconfigured X).  (FWIW, the video is detected as
an ATi Radeon chip and I'm sure there have been known issues with ATi
and Linux.)

Thank you for any info.