Comcast encrypts extended basic channels

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> This is the one I got (mentioned on mythtv-users):
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16880121002
>
> No longer available at Newegg.

OK, I did run across mention of that model on the list.

I see it is available from other suppliers, including Amazon. Seems to
be well reviewed at both Newegg and Amazon, though most users are not
using it just as a blaster driven by LIRC.

The information seems to be a bit vague as to whether it supports one or
two IR blaster channels. (There are a bunch of blaster products that
support 2 or more emitters, but not as independent channels.)

Not a real cheap solution if it requires two, at $30 each.

> Unfortunately, there might be problems with nVidia USB chipsets which
> may be why it won't work on my BE, but does work on my Intel chipset
> systems.

Have you since got it working?

I also ran across mention of Iguanaworks, which is another small-time
fabricator of IR interfaces:
http://iguanaworks.net/product1.psp

They have a $40 USB product that has several different configurations.
The best option seems to be 1 IR receiver, and 4 independent output
channels (provided through 2 stereo mini jacks). With this option you
then need to either make a cable to interface directly with the DTA (the
Thomson DTAs have an IR-in jack), buy a pair of emitter cables ($10) or
make your own.

They specifically support LIRC with a custom driver, so I'm assuming
vendor support for getting it working with LIRC ought to be pretty good.

Given that the whole DTA only costs $50 (at least that's Comcast's
listed replacement cost), it seems silly to pay $50 just for IR control,
but that's the trade off for low volume manufacturing, and it works out
to $25 per DTA, so it's cheaper than some other options.

BTW, I examined the internals of one of my DTAs to see if there was a
convenient tap-off point for composite video and audio, but
unfortunately nothing obvious on the circuit board. It clearly wasn't
designed to optionally be packaged with composite output jacks. Without
getting a lot more invasive (breaking open the shielding on the
modulator) it's hard to say if there would be any convenient point to
intercept baseband video. (Years ago, you'd often see modulators built
as separate enclosed modules that actually had an internal RCA connector
used to supply the baseband video.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro