Internet service

Robert Krawitz wrote:
> Unfortunately, 1500/368 isn't exactly cutting edge speed any more...
>
> We're not wired for cable...
>
> I'd like to run at least an ssh (for remote login) and anon ftp server
> (for occasional low volume use).

Based on what you say here and elsewhere in the thread, it seems your
choices are limited to two options: DSL - either a speed upgrade from
Speakeasy, or an alternate ISP, or some form of wireless.

And as David recommends, you'll likely need to buy business-class
service to do what you want.

A while back I was looking for FIOS resellers and ran across DSL Extreme
(https://www.dslextreme.com/). As their name implies, they also offer
DSL service. I just went there to see what business DSL offering they
had and it kept sending me over to the residential page. Additionally
the business FIOS packages all seemed to lack a static IP option. I
tried their "live chat" option and had no response after 30 minutes. So
I called, and talked to a sales person after just a few minutes wait. (I
was told they're backlogged on the chat service.)

Apparently I had an obsolete page bookmarked. This page:
https://www.dslextreme.biz/

shows their business offerings. Looks like they resell AT&T, Verizon,
and Covad DSL. I don't know if AT&T is available around here.
https://www.dslextreme.biz/Services/Internet/DSLFiber/Packages.aspx?type=dsl

Verizon 3000/768Kbps w/8 static IPs for $55/mo
Covad   6000/768Kbps w/8 static IPs for $55/mo

That's only a slight upgrade from your 384Kbps upstream. They have some
faster options here:
https://www.dslextreme.biz/Services/Internet/DSLFiber/Packages.aspx?type=fiber

(Link says fiber, but the products shown seem to be all labeled DSL, yet
the speeds exceed what I thought was possible for DSL.)

Verizon 10,000/2000Kbps w/5 static IPs for $70/mo
Verizon 10,000/2000Kbps w/dynamic IP for $50/mo.

(If you research DSL Extreme's reputation, please report back your
findings. When I checked mentions of them in forums a few months ago,
most people seemed to be saying good things.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA