Internet service

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 10:01:50AM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> > From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
> > Behalf Of Bob Leigh
> >
> > But wimaxmaps.org explains that the "pins" on the map are the
> > headquarters
> > locations of various providers, not their coverage areas.
> >
> > http://www.pipeline-wireless.com/wireless-area.html
>
> So ... What do these guys do anyway?  Microwave point-to-point?
>
> It looks expensive.  Is this meant for a home user in any way?  How much
> does it cost, roughly?

I used to be a TowerStream customer. They were pre-standardization
WiMax on 5.8GHz; basically line-of-sight antennas, but TowerStream had
the top of the Pru, which is l-o-s for an awful lot of places right out
to Waltham.

Costs from about 4 years ago: 7-10 day order to install, depending largely
on site survey issues, cost about $1000. Bandwidth costs: about the same
as VZ or ATT T1 for 2Mb/s, scaling smoothly and same-day turn up to 40
or so Mb/s. In other words, business class pricing.

The problems, as of then: degraded service in storms, frequent outages,
unreliable equipment on top of the Pru, and first-hop RTT of about 30ms.
And customer service was bad to mediocre.

I expect that they solved the unreliable equipment problem. I don't know
about the rest. A lot can change in 4 years.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.