Internet service

On 06/06/2010 12:54 PM, Robert Krawitz wrote:
> We currently have Speakeasy, which has excellent reliability.
> Unfortunately, 1500/368 isn't exactly cutting edge speed any more, and
> ever since Best Buy bought them they seem much less interested in
> providing home service.
>
> We're not wired for cable, and when we looked into getting service, it
> turned out that it would be rather expensive; they'd have to do a fair
> bit of work since the closest cable run is a few hundred feet away
> across an intersection.
>
> I'd like to run at least an ssh (for remote login) and anon ftp server
> (for occasional low volume use).  I certainly want faster speeds,
> particularly uplink (to upload photos, primarily -- uploading 700 MB
> of photos is dreadfully slow and I just upgraded from a 20D to a 7D).
>
> Any suggestions?

FIOS has pretty good uplink speed.  Pretty much every provider other than
speakeasy has "no-server" clauses in their TOS, but the two services you
mention are easy to work around by running those services on a non-standard
(high) port (sometimes they'll port scan low-numbered ports looking for
"servers").

Running ssh on a non-standard port isn't a bad idea even if you are allowed
to run servers.

Have you looked into WiMAX?

Matt