Linux software development IDE quandary

Hey Mark and Blu,

At the Ubuntu Developers Summit we held a couple of sessions called 'The
Desktop is your IDE' or in some people's cases it's more like 'The user
environment is your IDE' and the basic idea is that just like we don't
have many popular monolithic development environments on the command
line (bar emacs) we perhaps may not want one on the desktop.

The two projects currently under this banner are the python based
"Quickly"[1] which is basically a templating and make functions and
"Ground Control"[2] which is your nautilus based project and revision
control.

Although I don't think these things will be directly useful, perhaps
they'll spark ideas. I know we have work to do to allow a new breed of
programmers to make silly little vanity projects i.e. iphone apps, but
not really for people deeply intimate with the profession.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Quickly
[2] http://ground-control.org/

Regards, Martin