CentOS 5.5 - kernel panic - Help!

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 9:59 AM, Tim Callaghan <tmcallaghan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I'm trying to track down the source of a kernel panic that I see once
>> or twice a week on one of my CentOS machines, specifics:
>
> You might look into enabling MAGIC SYSRQ key and see if you can gather
> any information that way.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
>
> I haven't tried it, but that page claims that you can trigger
> kexec/crashdumps with the appropriate
> key sequence (I'm sure you have to set it up ahead of time though).

If you have kdump configured, the machine automatically reboots into
the kdump environment and captures a vmcore if its possible. sysrq-c
will trigger a crash on an otherwise functioning system (via a simple
and intentional null pointer dereference), but is more for testing
crash dumping facilities -- I don't think its applicable in the
situation where the machine has already crashed.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org