CentOS 5.5 - kernel panic - Help!

> From: discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org [mailto:discuss-bounces-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org] On
> Behalf Of Tim Callaghan
>
> I'm trying to track down the source of a kernel panic that I see once
> or twice a week on one of my CentOS machines, specifics:
>   CentOS 5.5
>   ASUS p6x58d Motherboard
>   Intel i7-920
>   3 x Corsair X3 2GB
>   WD 1TB 6Gb SATA - OS drive
>   Intel X-25M SSD - data drive for DB benchmarking
>
> After running for a few days, the machine fails to respond to ping.
> When I look at the console I see "kernel panic - not syncing - nmi

I'm just guessing these are custom build machines, no?  That is - not dell,
not some name brand where they've built and distributed and offer support
for thousands of identical configurations.  Right?

I've had precisely the same experience you're having now, whenever using
custom builds.  I don't recommend custom builds if you expect reliability.

Sorry that's not more helpful.  They just don't distribute thousands of
identical systems, and nobody offers support for the system as a whole, so
there isn't the level of testing and thoroughness that's necessary to make
it a reliable system as a whole.  Just because something is standards
compliant ... doesn't mean it works together, and *far* from meaning
bug-free.

Anyway.  Good luck.