NAS devices

On 06/03/2010 10:26 AM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Oh, yes, it does.  Solaris 10, now Oracle Solaris, is based on OpenSolaris.  Much of what goes into that product comes from the community behind OpenSolaris.  That community is not entirely happy with Oracle right now.  Unhappy community = potential for bad times ahead.
>
> Not saying that Oracle will pull the plug on OpenSolaris.  Just saying caveat emptor.

Thanks. I pretty well have my ducks in a row as far as our alternatives.
My preference is to try to scarf up a spare Solaris/Sparc box from our
Toronto headquarters since I believe they are planning on upgrading to a
higher performance system up there. If that is not available, my
preference would be to get a decent low end server (Penguin, Dell, HP)
that supports SATA 3 and includes 4 slots in a 1U chassis. As far as OS,
I'm still leaning to RHEL since we have a full corporate license.
However, a FreeNAS server is among my recommendations. Additionally,
politically we may not be able to purchase a computer, but we can spend
money on parts and upgrades in which case we could upgrade one of our 2
IA64 systems, in which case the 3Ware, HP P800, or similar cards.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Boston Linux and Unix