NAS devices

> Given what Oracle has done with Solaris 10, I would be reluctant to
> rely on OpenSolaris.

BS

First of all, the only bad thing oracle has done with solaris 10 is to
eliminate the free version of sol10, and require subscription in order to
get updates for past installations.

That does not affect opensolaris.

Opensolaris is still free.

Second of all, the two versions of opensolaris you might consider are:  (a)
the commercially supported version available from opensolaris.com, which is
supported regardless of any sun/oracle involvement because it's a separate
company, or (b) the latest developer build.

The one and only valid fear, for those FUD mongers rampant on the
discuss-xZgeD5Kw2fzokhkdeNNY6A at public.gmane.org list to spread, is:  If you happen to be scared that
oracle will pull its developers out of the opensolaris development efforts
and let the developer builds stagnate.  Although this is a valid fear
because it's within their realm of power, I am personally not scared of it
because that would be the (slow) death of solaris over a period of years,
which they're committed to developing and distributing.  It would make no
sense for them to destroy the channel where community developers are able to
contribute for free, and it would make no sense for them to deter the
community from using it and seeing what it's all about.  You may be scared,
but I'm not.