Hosed ext3 superblock

(Pardon the poor formatting below.  Web mail is annoying.)

--- On Wed, 6/2/10, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Just make sure you take an image of that drive so if you
> screw up your
> have an out. Additionally, there are data recovery
> companies that will
> recover your data. Since the hardware is working, it should
> be less
> expensive. If you decide to go this route, make sure you
> check their
> reputation. A couple of years ago when one of my HDs died
> and I was
> unaware that my backup was corrupted (32-bit system with a
> virtual
> machine that screwed it up), I sent the drive to a company
> in Chicago
> since the only local companies with good reputations
> locally were too
> expensive.

I'm doing the fsck on the image of the hard drive now.  It does not look encouraging, and I imagine that I'll have to use a data recovery service.

I was planning on trying out Tech Fusion, since they're conveniently located to me, but I hadn't thought about shopping around to the extent that you did.  How did you check reputations?  And do you recall the Chicago company's name?

Thanks for the advice.

Jesse Hughes