Hosed ext3 superblock

On 06/02/2010 08:46 AM, Ling Cheung wrote:

> --- On Wed, 6/2/10, Charles Bennett<ccb-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org>  wrote:
>

>> Dear Desperate -
>>
>> If none of the superblock entries found with 'mke2fs -n'
>> are working,
>> you can throw down fresh ones with 'mke2fs -s'.  This
>> will not touch
>> the data, but it will obliterate superblocks.
>>
>> Then fsck.  It will be very scary, but you may get a
>> lot of it back.
>>
> I'll give that a try.  Is there any information I need to know in order to create a superblock?  Say, block size?
>
> I'm sure I used the defaults when I installed Ubuntu.  I wonder how I can easily find those defaults now.
>
> One last thing: any special parameters to fsck?  (I guess "-y" will be useful!)

Just make sure you take an image of that drive so if you screw up your
have an out. Additionally, there are data recovery companies that will
recover your data. Since the hardware is working, it should be less
expensive. If you decide to go this route, make sure you check their
reputation. A couple of years ago when one of my HDs died and I was
unaware that my backup was corrupted (32-bit system with a virtual
machine that screwed it up), I sent the drive to a company in Chicago
since the only local companies with good reputations locally were too
expensive.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Boston Linux and Unix