Unix Shell book and Perl for beginner

On 06/01/2010 11:53 AM, Dave Peters wrote:
> Any suggestion for a good unix shell book and a perl book for beginner? I plan to teach my kids.
> Thanks.

For bash there is O'Reilly's Learning the bash Shell.
I've used many shell books over the years. IMHO, it is too confusing to
teach both Bourne Shell, C Shell, Korn Shell and BASH shell at the same
time. Best to focus on the most common Linux shell, but make them aware
that there are other shells with some variances in syntax, but unless
they are going to be using Commercial Unix systems, bash would be the
easiest. I did teach a shell module in my Linux and Unix course at
Northeastern, and you could take a look at that if you want. Just email
me directly.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org>
Boston Linux and Unix