Entire file system goes read-only

On one system while it's running, something occurs which causes the
/entire/ Ubuntu (10.04 LTS) file system to become read-only.  It was
first discovered two days ago when I tried to clear out the Trash
folder, when a window appeared indicating files were read-only.  I then
opened the file manager and /every/ icon had a lock on it.

At this point, the only options were to shut down or reboot.  Upon doing
so, when the system comes back up, it goes straight into a file system
check, then when that has completed, the system reboots itself without
user intervention.

Is there any possible explanation as to what (and why this) is
happening, or maybe something I can look at?