Asynchronous File I/O on Linux

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On May 18, 2010, at 2:06 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>>
>> Please re-read the end of my last message. ? Take a look at pread()
>> (POSIX) and readahead() (Linux only).
>> It turns out you do not need separate file handles. ? ?Threads may
>> still be required to make it non-blocking.
>
> I did look at pread(). ?While it doesn't reset the file handle's seek pointer it still effectively does a lseek() to the offset. ?So that's not really a performance win.

I didn't say pread()  was faster.  However, I believe it could safely
allow concurrent/independent IO requests via the same underlying file
descriptor from multiple threads.   Since the offset is explicit with
pread() there should be no reason for conflicts on the single shared
file offset to occur like with read() from multiple threads.   Whether
it actually works that way or not, I don't know.

>> Not necessarily ? I would like random chunks of data from this file
>> (perhaps NEED it at some specific computation point in the future),
>> but I have some other computation I can do in the meantime. ? Please
>> start the disk IO now. ?Don't make me create multiple FDs for a single
>> file. ? ?At my option, I would like you to:
>
> This seems a little silly to me. ?I mean, if your processing takes more time then the reads then the hand-carved optimizations aren't a win. ?On the other hand, if they don't then the reads will block. ?If you aren't caching anything at that point then I think it's time to reconsider your storage format because this is a problem that's been solved before.

Caching won't help me if I only want to look at each chunk once.  If
the data was in the file sequentially then
the built-in kernel readahead would help.  If the file format is fixed
and I want to process the data in some other order
then sequential then the simplistic kernel readhead isn't going to
help (and may make things slower).

Let's say physically reading each data chunk takes R time and
processing each data chunk takes P time.
If I simply do "read(); compute()" in a loop each chunk takes R + P
wall clock time.

If I can do something like "nonblocking-readahead(); compute();
read()" in the loop (with a single read() before the loop to prime the
pump) then if the overhead of calling nonblocking-readahead is small
(no reason it shouldn't be as all it does is put some IO requests on
the disk queue), each chunk takes approximately R' + max(P, R) wall
clock time.   This is where R'
is how long it takes to move the data from the kernel buffers into the
application buffer space rather then the total time to read
from disk.  Compared to R, R' is likely to be small so with P == R
that could give me close to a 2x performance increase.    Whether the
additional complexity is worth it is dependent on any number of
variables.   But it will definitely matter in some cases.  The larger
the data chunk the more it will probably matter.

In some sense, the existence of the readahead() Linux system call and
the ureadahead daemon under Ubuntu (speeds up
system booting) is an existence proof that doing simultaneous
computation and IO requests can result in significant performance
improvement.   Or at least someone managed to convince both the Linux
kernel developers as well as the
Ubuntu developers of this.

Another way to look at it is that this is why multi-processing OSes
were originally designed years ago.   You can get higher overall
system throughput if you can interleave multiple single-threaded
applications on a single system.   While one application is waiting
for IO, another one can be doing computation.   Back when computers
were big $$, this was a big deal.   Modifying an inherently
single-threaded program so it can try to interleave its own
computation with its own IO will
sometimes help (and sometimes not).  But I don't see it as silly.

Bill Bogstad