Power Management and Encryption

On Tue, 18 May 2010, Matthew Gillen wrote:

> On 05/17/2010 11:57 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> So my original suggestion won't work.  You could try setting the
> /schemas/apps/gnome-power-manager/buttons/suspend
> key's value to 'shutdown' (that is a legal value for that key, the question is
> whether it treats all suspend events as 'suspend button' pushes).

We tried this - the GUI accepted the value "shutdown" in spite of not
listing it as an accepted value. But idle time still results in sleep, not
shutdown - the value seems to be ignored.

Further search on google suggests the only way to accomplish this is to
write a cron job that periodically consults the "w" command for idle
times. Apparently the powers that be think that an unexpected shutdown
might cause violence to a running process, and have elected not to make it
readily available.

In any case, thanks for the suggestions.

Daniel Feenberg
NBER