Comcast encrypts extended basic channels

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu-5a1Jt6qxUNc at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I wrote:
>>> So looks like my options are:
>>> 1. Get an active combiner to feed the PVR500 + 2 IR blasters.
>>> 2. Buy a couple of PVR150s on eBay ($25 ~ $50 ea) + 2 IR blasters.
>
> Some versions of the PVR150s come with IR blasters built into them.
> But I have (through personal experience) learned that
> they aren't general purpose IR blasters.  They are preprogrammed
> knowing about certain kinds of remotes in the firmware.   I found no
> way to get them to change channels on a DTA.  I think they might work
> with some of the Comcast STBs, but I haven't tried it as my STB is
> nowhere near my BE.

There are some vastly superior IR blasters out there that do all the
timing with an on-board chip which makes it much more accurate and less
of a load on the system.

I am using a very ancient (as in it connects via a serial port.
Interesting story upon request) version of this:
http://www.redrat.co.uk/
They are learning devices, so you can train from any remote.

There are also one-for-all remotes that can connect to your computer
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/JP1_universal_remote_controls_%28One-for-all%29