Comcast encrypts extended basic channels

I wrote:
> So looks like my options are:
> 1. Get an active combiner to feed the PVR500 + 2 IR blasters.
> 2. Buy a couple of PVR150s on eBay ($25 ~ $50 ea) + 2 IR blasters.
> 4. Return the DTAs and pay $4/month (or whatever it is) to rent a couple
> of full STBs (probably Motorola w/serial control).

I called today to get pricing on renting two STBs. Turns out they run
$8/month each, so that would be an additional $16/month, or about a 50%
increase on my bill. (At that rate it wouldn't take long to hit the
break even point on additional purchased hardware to make the DTAs work.)

A typical consumer who has 3 TVs in their house that they've upgraded to
ATSC/QAM in the last few years would be in the same boat, requiring the
full STBs, as the DTAs won't work with a TV that lacks an analog NTSC
tuner. So why isn't there more outrage from "joe subscriber" at this
forced upgrade?

I queried the rep about my early termination fee (on my 2-year
contract), and pushed the issue about the forced upgrade, looking to see
if they'd waive the rental fee if their DTAs were incompatible. The rep
seemed unable to do anything about the rental fee. Oddly the rep. could
only tell me what the termination fee would be today, and not what it
might be in a month or two after I pass my 1-year anniversary.
(Apparently they can't lookup or read the contract. Only echo what the
software tells them.)

The rep transferred me to their "Customer Loyalty" department
(apparently standard procedure when you mention termination). They
repeated the same answers and showed no interest in being flexible.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA