Asynchronous File I/O on Linux

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 3:23 PM, Mark Woodward <markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know of a standard asynchronous file I/O system for Linux?
>>
>> I just wrote one because I needed to try something, but I was wondering if
>> there is a more mainstream project going on. From what I've been able to
>> find, you can't do much better than what I did with the POSIX API and that
>> was open a file multiple times, use posix threads, mutexes, and events to
>> queue up I/O requests to the threads.
>>

> It looks to me like you are re-inventing the POSIX AIO functions.
> "man 3 aio" on my Linux system looks like a good place to learn more about this.
> It at least appears to be worth a look....
>
> Note: I've never used these functions, I just vaguely remembered that
> they existed.

I looked for asynchronous I/O and linux, and nothing came up. Actually,
I'm kind of glad it didn't but the aio.h API seems pretty limited but I
wouldn't have bothered writing my own if I knew aoi.h existed.  Because,
well, that type of code is fun to write.

OK, so, the methodology is quite similar, fine. Now the question
remains, is it possible to quickly "clone" an existing file handle so
that it will be a new and distinct file handle with the same permissions
and modes with its own distict view of current location, i.e. seek on
one does not affect seek on the other?