dropping cable

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> This direct model apparently makes it profitable to have just one
>> or two commercials per 22 minutes, instead of dozens.
>
> I'm not sure of that.   They may think of it as and advertising/loss
> leader while they make their real money on Cable fees.

True.

> Until I see similar quality content available on
> the web which wasn't originally produced for OTA or Cable
> distribution, I'm not sure of the viability of Internet only
> distribution for the content that I currently can get from OTA/Cable.

Agreed.

We are, however, starting to see this. There have been a few
made-for-web shows that have subsequently been either distributed on
network TV (see "quarterlife"[1]) or DVD (see "The Guild"[2]). I haven't
seen either, so I can't speak to the quality, but they do seem to
suggest there is a path to profitability that doesn't start with
traditional content producers. Ultimately they need to be profitable
without network or DVD distribution, and we're probably not there yet.

1. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0932670/
2. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1138475/

 -Tom

--