Comcast encrypts extended basic channels

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> They just did this in Cambridge as of yesterday (May 11th).   I had
> thought they were going to do it in April, but either they delayed it
> for a month or I had misremembered the flyer they had sent me.

As I've mentioned, the written notice I received didn't mentioning
anything about encryption or discontinuation of clear QAM. I'm actually
a bit surprised they'd get that technical in a consumer announcement.
Maybe by the time Newton customers were notified, they had eliminated
that from their notice.

their "Executive Customer Care" department, in which the already known
Comcast policy was repeated, and the rep further explained that it was
"a mistake" that clear QAM was ever made available. (It seemed pretty
intentional to me, especially seeing as it was done at many (all?)
head-ends across the country.)

I told him I was aware of the policy and Comcast's justification, but
disagreed with it and wanted to register my objection. He said they have
periodic executive meetings where they bring up customer issues, and
would discuss the matter. (This is why it is critical that more people
register an objection.)

I also mentioned that the DTAs that don't have composite output or any
sort of computer control interface require the customer to purchase
additional hardware to interface them to DVRs, and that Comcast should
provide full STBs to customers that require them.

> At this point, the only unencrypted digital channels are basically
> local OTA rebroadcasts, cable access channels, and some shopping
> channels.

So what approach did you end up taking for interfacing the DTA with MythTV?

I have a PVR500, which has only a single RF input shared by the two
tuners. I've read about how others have addressed this using active RF
signal combiners.

I was hoping the DTA might have a blank spot on its PCB for a baseband
RCA connector, given that baseband pretty much always feeds the input of
the ch 3/4 modulator. Given a $50 replacement cost, I wasn't too
concerned about voiding the warranty, but my Thompson made DTA had no
obvious connection points. (I might post PCB photos to the MythTV wiki.)

So looks like my options are:
1. Get an active combiner to feed the PVR500.
2. Buy a couple of PVR150s on eBay ($25 ~ $50 ea).
3. Feed one DTA into the PVR500, abandoning the 2nd tuner, and feed the
other DTA into my non-MPEG2 analog tuner card (which I try and avoid
using) or into a newly acquired PVR150.
4. Return the DTAs and pay $4/month (or whatever it is) to rent a couple
of full STBs (probably Motorola w/serial control).

All but option #4 also requires fussing around with IR control. I think
somewhere I have some IR hardware that came with my PVR500...nope. I
have the expansion connector tat provides the composite input jacks for
the 2nd tuner, and an FM antenna, but no IR hardware. What did you end
up buying for IR control? (The LIRC and MythTV sites seem to do a poor
job of recommending specific hardware for IR transmission.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA