gnome/linux personal orgnizer

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 09:48:41AM -0400, Stephen Adler wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Yesterday I had a bit of a meltdown at work due to being overwhelmed
> with deadlines. After the smoke has settled, I realized that my life has
> gotten so complicated, with meetings, tasks, deadlines, etc. that I have
> to start using some kind of software tool to keep my work life
> organized. It used to be that I could remember everything that needed to
> get done, but I've reached a new stage in my career where that's not
> possible.
>
> So... can you guys recommend a software pages to organized ones
> professional life, with meeting dates, reminders of tasks that need to
> get done etc? What are the popular applications for the gnome and/or kde
> desktops?

Everybody finds something different. Here's what works for me:

- I carry my phone everywhere, so I use:
	- an alarm clock set for every repeating meeting or
	  event
	- Google Calendar with audible alarms set for every
	  one-off meeting or event

- I maintain a text file in my home directory called TASKLIST.
	- every day at 8AM, 2PM and 4PM, a cron job mails me
	  TASKLIST
	- I keep track of what I'm doing or need to do there.
	- It's organized into a very few categories, based on
	  urgency:

URGENT

SOON

DEADLINE

and

EVENTUALLY

I don't keep track of items once they've been completed or fall
off the list for some other reason; I do archive all the
TASKLIST emails in a folder where I could consult or search them
if needed.

-dsr-
You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.