Comcast encrypts extended basic channels

It appears that a the Newton/Needham head-end for Comcast has started
encrypting extended basic channels in the past day or two.

I called to complain, but knowing that what I said to their tier 1 rep
when go nowhere, I asked for a supervisor and got his recommendation for
how to send feedback to Comcast that would be seen and counted. He
recommended using option #4 and #6 on:
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Customers/Contactus/Contactus.html

I'll be sure and let them know that I've filed complains with the FCC
and the Mass Department of Telecommunications and Cable.

I encourage everyone on a cable system that encrypts to do likewise,
even if you've put in place a workaround. The more noise we make, the
better the chances are they'll undo this.

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> If true, we might be able to do something about this by filing complains
>> here:
>> http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm
>>
>> Comcast certainly won't like it, but they could accomplish their
>> anti-piracy goals by installing pole filters on the drops for the
>> minority of subscribers who are signed up for basic-only.
>
> I took a quick look at that page and it wasn't obvious to me which
> 'category' to use.  If you figure it out let me (and mythtv-users)
> know.  I'm betting a number of people would file complaints.

I selected:
"Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues"
then:
"DTV"

Here's what I sent:

My local (Newton/Needham, MA) Comcast head-end has begun transmitting
encrypted QAM signals for the "extended basic" channels that I subscribe
to, which is rendering useless multiple video products that I own. I
should not be required to use a cable company provided, proprietary
tuner box, just to receive extended basic programing, which either
reduces or eliminates the functionality of the video products I own.

As cable companies "roll out" encryption on basic channels, I suspect
there will be many disappointed consumers who bought HDTVs in the past
few years discovering that the tuners in the new TVs are now useless.
And now have to go through the complication of attaching an external box
with an additional remote. This is an entirely unnecessary complication.

The FCC should require that cable companies provide all channels as
unencrypted QAM, with the exception of channels that have a per-channel
subscription fee. Cable companies can always use pole filters or
addressable taps to achieve security, if they deem it necessary.

I also filed a complaint with the Mass. Department of Telecommunications
and Cable:
http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterminal&L=5&L0=Home&L1=Government&L2=Our+Agencies+and+Divisions&L3=Department+of+Telecommunications+and+Cable&L4=Consumer+Division&sid=Eoca&b=terminalcontent&f=dtc_consumer_complaints_main_page&csid=Eoca

I see lots of complains by other customers in Comcast's "Digital
Transition" forum under http://forums.comcast.net/. I posted some of the
above there.

  -Tom

--